Monday, July 13, 2009

The Socratic Universe Week 1 Post 4

When I went to the site for the Socratic universe reading I really enjoyed the chapter 6 question of Does God exist? A good answer to the question was from Arntzenius from USC. He said that he didnt know how to answer the question. He said that he was not exactly sure what it means to say that God exists. I love how he put that because thats exactly how I feel.  I believe there is a God but I'm not sure if God helps us in the day to day events in the form of an answered prayer persay.  I think that God built our universe with all of its laws and complexities but isn't able to manipulate the world he made in a physical sense. He left his best message and guide for us through Jesus and the bible. He can't snap his fingers and give someone a million dollars. They have to follow his word and through that message they can learn to make themselves able to have that million dollars, but God can't actualy do anything for a person. God just leaves clues for us to do things for ourselves.

 

            Mc Cann said that, when asked whether or not God does exist, wants to know the reason the person is asking and what that person thinks hinges on whether or not God exists.  I find this very interesting because I have also wondered the same thing. People often hope there is a God because it will make them feel better knowing that there is meaning to life and maybe somewhere to go after.  It also allows people believe that people are inherently good because we come from God which is good. I believe  McCann merely wants to know because he doesn't find the question to be particularly relevant to answer considering many people have different views and he doesnt want to waste his time debating the never ending question. However, I think it is a great question to ask and the answer could dramatically change the way a person lives their life. Not to mention it is possible that there very well may be a God.

No comments:

Post a Comment