Thursday, July 30, 2009

Daniel Dennent and Consciousness and Physicality Interview: Week 6, Post 1-

This is such an interesting interview; it starts out with the two talking about Dennett’s stance on God, in which he is, in fact, a self proclaimed Atheist. When the interviewer asks Dennett if because of his Atheistic views, he feels as though there is a void in his life or something missing in his life, Dennett responds by saying that this is really is the best question to ask because he feels as though a lot of people actually do not believe in God. He feels as though many people want to believe in God; they feel their lives would be better with a God, and maybe for certain periods of time in their lives they actually do believe in God but for the most part Dennent feels that most people on earth truly do not believe in God. In Dennet's eyes, many people do not behave like they believe in God; they behave like they should believe in God. I absolutely whole heartedly agree with this. I myself fall into this same category. I want to believe in God but I think at a deep level I do not believe in God, and I do not think I truly ever did. Maybe at certain times in my life but mostly even when I was 4 I would sit in church and think to myself, this is bullshit anyway.
The interviewer and Dennent go on to debate about natural selection. The interviewer produces as many examples as he can to prove to Dennent that it is possible that there could be an intelligent designer behind the process of natural selection, Dennent all the while stand by his position of the stance that he believes natural selection believes it’s just the passing on of genes for the sake of passing on your genes. Dennent states the fact that over time there can become intelligent life on the planet, then it can also become extinct and then through the process of natural selection, intelligent life can once again be produced. Like a jagged tooth like structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment