Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ramana Maharshi and Indian Philosophy: Week 6, Post 2-

Ramanda Maharshi was born in 1879 and lived until the year 1950. He was born to a father who was a self made man and a lawyer. His father commanded respect from even robbers who would not attack him. His mother was a hardworking and gracious homely girl. Her innate spirituality became greatly known as it blossomed onto the direct guidance of her son Ramana. Later, while in high school Ramana's father passed away and he went to live with his uncle while his mother and two younger siblings moved to a nearby town. When he went to America Mission High School, it became clear to all that Ramana would never be a scholar. He preferred games and physical activities. If it wasn't for his amazing retentive memory, the neglect he showed toward his studies would have definitely alarmed his guardians. Up to the point of high school, there was no reason to believe Ramana would be a scholar because he was a good athlete and he enjoyed hanging out in the river with his friends.
When he was 16 he read a book called, “Periya Puranam,” that his uncle had, which brought him great interest as to the love and faith that was possible in the world. The climax came just a few months later when rather abruptly a violent fear of death overcame him; he realized he was going to die someday. This drove Ramana inward and he wanted to answer the vital questions that were demanding to be answered. What does Death mean? I can relate so much to Ramana because I too was never a good scholar in school as I was always the athlete wanting to play with my friends. But I too have a very good memory and I am actually very smart and quiet spiritual. Recently I have had my life take some turns for the different. It has made me think about death and what my life is about. It has made me think about ways I can live my life as full as I can and to possibly contribute something much greater then myself to it. I have many questions that I want answers to and this class is helping me answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment