Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Power of Non-Violence Ghandi: Week 5, Post 4-

Ghandi I suppose is writing this I cannot tell because it does not state who wrote it but whoever it was, I think it was Ghandi, said this very profound quote which stroke a very interesting quote to me. The quote goes like this, “The hardest metal yields to sufficient heat. Even so the hardest heart must melt before sufficiency of the heat of nonviolence. And there is no limit to the capacity of nonviolence to generate heat.” This statement uses the analogy of even the hardest metal melting to the sufficient amount of heat. No matter how hard it is it will melt when it comes in contact with a certain amount of heat just as a person who is the attacker to someone, if met with enough non violence, with the hardest heart will eventually melt before the heat of nonviolence. I find this to be true because if any person is attacking a person who is not retaliating back at some point or another that person will stop because not only is it wrong to keep kicking a man while he is down but he will realize that he is not doing anything to resolve any sort of problem anymore. He is the only one who cares.
I personally do not understand how the act of non-violence solves anything because when someone is attacking me, I do not choose to sit and just take it and not do anything about it. That never does anything but make me look like a weak person. I know that it worked for Ghandi but I do not understand why, I do not know much about Ghandi. Ghandi says that when one is nonviolent against an aggressor, the aggressor is first dazzled by it, then is compelled to give the nonviolent person recognition and that soon that recognition would uplift the aggressor. In my experience, I know aggressors to make their attacks and laugh in the wake of their inflicted harm to spite the person and make themselves feel better. There are plenty of tortured souls I know of that wouldn't give recognition to a nonviolent soul. It would only make them more encouraged to do more damage and make themselves feel better. I do believe that there are people who are messed up like that, caused by their own personal life experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment